sábado, 8 de mayo de 2010

The Next Step

Quite some time has passed since my last blog entry. I have finished with the theological training in Iquitos and I'm beginning the next step in Pucallpa. In this entry I would like to summarize the last half of the Iquitos phase and touch lightly our short time in Pucallpa.

Iquitos
Following the Iquitos project we continued with our classes until our graduation a week ago. We had many experiences both good and bad. We had sickness and some of the team had family crisis back in the states. We had/have culture shock, but I am assured that it will pass. The group has had to overcome partner difficulties (cultural/language/personality conflicts). In spite of all these negative things, it has been a pleasure for me to see group grow closer because of those difficulties. Life does definitely get easier as your Spanish skills improve. In Iquitos we also had a few comforts of home at a local restaurant called the Yellow Rose of Texas. I personally occasioned the Rose quite often as they serve pancakes, BBQ, Chile, Chicken and Dumplings and lastly they had decent drip coffee. With sadness and excitement for a new adventure, the Pucallpa and Iquitos cohorts bid their farewells on the barge headed for Pucallpa. For me personally it was very difficult to say goodbye to friends that have things in common with me that no other person ever will, the trials, successes and comradeship that happened in Iquitos Peru.


Pucallpa
After 5 days on a barge heading upstream (i,e south) on the Amazon river system, we arrived at Pucallpa. Stretching our sore bodies from sleeping in hammocks, we carried our tremendous amount of luggage of the barge to be happily greeted by the Fosters (our support family). We live in a walled compound that is comprised of the church, the rooms, the kitchen and various church offices. I love my new accommodations. It really feels good to have my suitcases unpacked for the first time in 9 months. I was really excited to find a local store that sells soda other than Coke. I'm excited over pop? Am I crazy? yeah probably, I live in Peru.
I saw the community that my partner and I will be working in and I'm very eager to start but I'm having trepidations as well to be starting. While I am a bit fearful I do, for the first time, feel that we have all the material we need to do our job a little more effectively( curriculum, bibles, propaganda etc.). What I need from ya'll back home, is many hours in prayer. Please pray for the spirit to be poured out in Pucallpa, the unity of our team, the personal spiritual growth of each member in the team and finally for the "Baby Christians" that we will have to leave after 6 months.

I hope this letter finds everyone well with much blessings
Timothy Mong

2 comentarios:

  1. My spanish is not good, so I hope it is ok to write in English (even if it is the aussie version :0). We are praying for you and your team and those who you will lead to Christ, and the months ahead as you model the journey for them. Grace and peace in abundance.
    Rosslyn Weigelt

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You and Daniel are doing a very good job. God just want to use lifes ready to serve him. Keep doing well Tim.

    ResponderEliminar